Monday, October 22, 2012

Reading in October

I'm torn in my reading habits in Octobers during presidential election years. On the one hand, I do read everything about candidates, primarily local candidates who I feel are the most important in that they directly represent us and are responsible for money matters and legislative matters. I also like to read history and current political books around the time of year.

On the other hand, I want to run and hide for cover. I want to read something totally unrelated to the general muck of politics (not to be confused with governing and statesmanship). My latest joy is vegan cooking and I've discovered the most fun vegan site (and recipes and cookbooks): The Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com). Check out not only the website but the cookbooks Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction. Both fantastic. And last night I made a batch of Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles (great chocolate-y taste with a kick of cayenne at the end). Amazing...and vegan! My 13-year-old son turned up his nose until he tasted them ("You can't make good cookies without butter and eggs." And after a bite, "Wow, that's fantastic!")

I'm about to check out an ebook from the library, Vegan For Life. It looks like a really good book too. And there is a cookbook that goes with the movie, Forks Over Knives, that also looks interesting.

What are you reading this October? What do you turn to? Politics? Or do you turn away to hide from what goes on? Share your books here.

No comments:

Post a Comment