Friday, January 15, 2016

Facing uncertainty

Last summer I had choices. I was at a company that was closing and I was offered a large retention bonus for staying, as well as an excellent severance package. I was determined to do that and then begin my freelance writing and editing business after that.

But I thought I should also be responsible and look for work. So I did and I found a very good position as a Proposal and Grants Writer for a K-12 educational software company. I spent 6 months of stressful work there, with no real acceptance and no encouragement and no training. And just 3 days ago, on January 12, 2016, I was let go without any explanation other than "I was not a good fit."

And now, my choices are gone. It's no use looking back but I really could have done far better if I had stayed and collected my money from my former job. But I can't go back. And going forward is frightening. I have possibly enough money to pay my rent and bills through February but unless I find work--and fast--March will be a month where I'm facing homelessness.

So, if any one of my friends and former colleagues reads this post, perhaps you can look around for some freelance writing and editing jobs for an unemployed Ph.D. who needs the work. I'm going to take some of my own advice and apply for grants for starting a small business and try to build my freelance writing and editing business.

Wish me luck folks!

I'll be writing a lot more in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment